Monday 16 April 2007

THE BUZZER ROUND

“BZZZZZZZ”. It was someone at the door. I grabbed the rape alarm and made my way to the apartment entrance. I had a peephole, I could see who was there, I didn’t need to let them in.

“BZZZZZZZ”. The doorbell rang again, this time accompanied by a series of loud raps.

Images of madmen who peeled skin from people’s faces with the same gay abandon as I would the skin from an apple whizzed through my mind. I could feel my mouth dry out and my heart start to bang against my ribcage like Black Rod on the door to the House of Commons. I was about to lose my nerve, to run for the phone and dial 999, screaming down the receiver for help….

“BZZZZZZZ”. The buzzer rang again. “Amanda, Amanda…..are you there……?”

The deep voice, the lilt of his Greek accent.

It was Nico!

My God it was my fella, my big strong fella … it was my Nico!

No comments: