Monday 2 April 2007

WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING

‘Helen? Helen is that you?’
Helen surpressed a giggle as she heard the familiar tones of her aged relative.

‘Talk into the receiver Auntie’, Helen replied, her Irish accent immediately strengthening as it always did when she spoke to family back home.

‘Helen, oh, thanks Goodness, I am so pleased to speak to you.’ The old dear had got the hang of it at last, she’d remembered to speak into the receiver.

Helen and her Aunt exchanged pleasantries … Aunt Maria recounting several tales of Helen’s childhood. ‘You were always a feisty girl, always stood apart from the pack … always a bit different … you showed us all didn’t you girl!’

Aunt Maria chuckled to herself, Helen could clearly picture her sipping away at her Paddy’s whisky and she spoke down the telephone.

‘ … yes, like me in so many ways’, Auntie Maria continued, ‘you weren’t going to settle for one of the local boys and motherhood by your mid-twenties, I always knew that …’

Whilst her Aunt chatted away Helen half listened whilst she finished selecting which picture of Babette she was going to use. Her final choice was a had the beautiful girl staring ahead in a very sensual pose, her lips moist and slightly parted, a cross between virgin and whore … very appropriate.

She picked it up and waved it at Chantelle who collected it and took it off to layout, this picture would now be reproduced over 400,000 times.

‘So, you may be wondering why I called …?’

Helen snapped back to her Aunt, ‘No, it’s lovely to hear from you, I’m so pleased everyone over there is fit and well, I really must come back soon ….’

‘I called Helen because, as you know for the years of ridicule I have endured, I have always been in possession of The Gift.’

‘Here we go’, thought Helen and she sat down, ready to endure the ramblings of an old mind.

‘I know you think I am a mad old bird’, Auntie Maria suddenly sound more rational, more sane than ever, ‘but I have been waiting a long time to tell you this and now the time has come. A great danger awaits you Helen, a great danger awaits not only you but your three closest friends. It is time for you to know the truth….’

Helen, it is time to understand your place in destiny …..!’

No comments: