Friday 22 June 2007

IS IT JUST ANOTHER DREAM?


Helen frantically called an ambulance as I sat and held Millie, stroking her hair and whispering her name.


'Millie, everything is going to be alright ...ssshhh...'


I was worried, had she eaten something? With all the unusual events of late was it something more sinister?


..and what had she said? Something about someone trying to rape me?


Cassie paced up and down beside us, like a caged tiger, sipping at her drink and shooting Helen anxious stares, 'Tell 'em to hurry up, Hel for God's sake.'


As I cooed to Millie I saw her eyelids start to move - it looked like she was having R.E.M.s


'It's Ok Millie, we're here with you, an ambulance is on it's way.'


A well dressed man approached us from the bar, 'Bloody women, can't take your champagne eh? Things have gone down hill since you lot thought you could run the world.'


He was on the plump side and I could tell from his florid complection that he had probably had a few too many himself. His two sidekicks, standing in the background started to snigger at their ringleader's comments.


Cassie stopped her pacing and stared at him before a smile appeared on her face. I knew this look, this meant trouble.


'Excuse me .... what did you say?' her eyes didn't betray the anger that lurked beneath. Cassie was a woman in control ... but for how long.


'Sorry darling, wasn't talking to you ... when I want a drink I'll ask one of the bartenders ... do you understand?' He spoke slowly and patronising .... racism dripped from every word.


'Oh, I understand you', said Cassie, 'but do you understand me?'


With that she lifted her knee and rammed it hard into his crotch.


The man double up, tears streaming from his eyes. She grabbed him by the hair and pulled his head up ... 'If you ever speak to anyone like that again, I'll kill you ... I'm sure you understand that.'


Paler than a sheet the racist mysogynist, turned on his heels and scurried from the bar ... his two pals in tow.


I looked back at Millie, the R.E.M.'s stopped as soon as they had started.


Her eyes opened, she looked up at me ... and she smiled.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where can i =buy your cards? i was given one in soho the other day and loved it.

Anonymous said...

a real role model for women - emma peel - let's hope the chicks get as iconic as her